Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Elmwood this Saturday! Details

 Elmwood - 5900 S Sunny Slope Rd, New Berlin

My son Reid 5 years ago in an amazing final game at Elmwood

The Elmwood tournament is a great annual chess tournament in Milwaukee, held by New Berlin's man of the year, Randy Bubolz.  Randy is the man who started chess in New Berlin and runs a huge program with hundreds of kids and several schools.  Randy trained Greg Reese who started chess in Muskego.  I was Greg's assistant coach at the time and Greg showed me the ropes.  This tournament should have about 200 kids, and has trophies down to 15th place.  Thanks to those who have registered.  Email me if you would still like to.  Details are below to parents attending the tournament:

PLEASE BE THERE BEFORE 8:30!  Check-in closes at 8:45.  If you will be there for game 1 at 9:15 but cannot be there earlier than that - YOU NEED TO LET ME KNOW and I will check you in!!!    I will be there at 7:45 to get us a good couple of tables for the team - I could use some help securing the area, and will be there to help any kid who shows up early also.  It's important for the kids to "get their chess brains on" before game 1.  That's what this time is for.  I also expect them to take a little time between games to think about their last game and what they learned.  I will have some "NOTATION" sheets if they want to try notating their game.  They should notate at least the first 10 moves.  The game is often won/lost by then, and this gives them something we can review over the game so I can help them.  Maybe reward them if they do this - something other than a sugary treat.   Please avoid too much sugar before and during the day.  This causes mental energy to spike and crash.  We want them consistent.   Also, it's OK for them to do something other than chess between rounds, if they wish.  I ask only that they take the games seriously and try to think about the lesson they learned each game.  Then, if they notate the first 10 moves, I can help them.  Even when they win, they often miss something.
There are no better lessons than the tournament games they play - notation helps us review and learn - it's critical for improvement in chess.

GOING TO MISS A GAME?   You need to let me know - please reply to this email to tell me or remind me, and include Randy Bubolz also - rbubolz@wi.rr.com ...  Then, please tell the people at the tournament when you check in.  In this tournament, they allow you to miss a round and get 1/2 point - see flyer for details.

We are playing in the NON-rated K-3 and Non-rated K-6 divisions of this tournament.  Non-rated for this tournament means Non USCF rating.  That is the main US Chess Federation rating that is used everywhere in the US.  At some point you may consider getting your child a USCF rating.  This lets them play in USCF rated tournaments.   Best to stay non-rated for now, I believe.  Note that some of our kids have already established WSCF ratings.  These are useful only within WSCF tournaments, such as those held at Tosa Catholic, Evangel and Golda Meir this year.  This tournament is an IAC tournament which does not have its own ratings system and uses the USCF rating for the rated divisions.  Sorry if this is a bit confusing.  Let me know if you have any questions on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment