Friday, October 7, 2016

Ready for Intermediate?

Parents have asked me, "Is my child ready for the Intermediate section?"

I have said there will be a test for those who skip the Beginner's course.  The reason is, that we want to make sure that when January hits, that everyone in our chess club is ready to move forward past the beginning concepts.  So, to prepare, and to answer the question, is my child ready, you should consider the following list (thanks to Bob Patterson-Sumwaldt and the WSCF, whose tournaments some kids may wish to attend in 2017):
Here is what the WSCF calls the "pawn" level.  These are some of the basics we will be learning in the first few classes.

Can your child demonstrate these?

Above is probably a good guide of where I would like to see a child before they begin the Intermediate course.  If they are shaky on some of these things, they should take the Beginner's course just to make sure!
Please send me email seghers@gmail.com or reply to this blog with any questions on this or anything related to McKinley chess.  Thanks!
- Mark / Mr. Seghers

No comments:

Post a Comment